Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Incarceron

I just finished a book. It was called Incarceron and was written by Catherine Fisher. It is a very good book, quite well narrated and, to be honest, gives a reader a good time, but that's not what I'm going to be writing about. I'll be talking about how the book falls short of the glory it could have achieved.

At first, the book starts well, pacing is quite important and, honestly, it seems to be quite well-paced. But, if you read as intently as you should, there's a huge spoiler that, once found, destroys the hope for future discovery. If you read it, and I urge you to, keep in mind to read every little detail, even if the narration might sometimes be a bit boring. Another thing is the unsteadiness of the characters. A character at points will act different, even though it was established that he was opposed to that kind of acting or, as is the case in this, they are different in personality from their actions. Of course, men can be driven to do things that go against their nature if they're forced.

Now, I'm not saying the book sucks or isn't worth your time, it's really good, well paced and, of course, it's great for reading, but it falls short of what it could have been. If it wasn't for the few things pointed out above, and a couple others such as description of places and emptiness of feeling, it would've been a great story, worthy of naming alongside those as Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Percy Jackson, each of which has actually made me, even if just for a moment, laugh, cry and get mad at their characters.

I know I'm a harsh critic, but if you read the book, which I, again, urge you to, you'll see what I mean. I loved the book, and I'll read it's sequel, Sapphique, but, unfortunately, I already know, or guessed, what's going to happen on the sequel. I hope it's just as good. Anyway, now I'll start reading a book called A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. Once I finish it, I'll let you all know what I think.

My Regards,

Ell J. Converse

No comments:

Post a Comment