Sunday, April 8, 2012

Video Game is Art

Ah, video games. Such simple spelling and yet, so many things come to mind when one utters those words. Some people think video games are awesome, others think they're okay, while some think they're completely useless and a huge waste of time. To those who think video games are worthless, I ask the following question: Is it really so different from a book or a movie? Let's compare and see:

A movie is a fusion of sound, actors, video tapes and graphics. A video game is created of the same basics, with the addition of being interactive. Now, a movie requires time, it is mostly written, then given shape by the actors, added life by the sounds and music, and finally given that final touch with improved graphics, just like a video game.

Comparing a book to a video game is a bit harder, but they still require the same basics. A book requires a good story and believable characters to be great. A stale story and lame characters will obviously make a reader turn away. The most well-known video games, such as Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed and Halo all have a good story and well-built characters, some others.

Video game making is an art, and everyone that works on them are artists. A painting is a piece of art, so is music and a video, if made well, is also art, so why can't a mix of them all be called art? Don't get me wrong, I love reading and watching movies, in fact, I've played video games while reading and I've read while watching a movie. In fact, I've done all three at the same time! But, for those who think video games are just a glue to the couch, let me tell you this: Last I checked, a book and a movie are best enjoyed, while sitting down.

My Regards,

Ell J. Converse

No comments:

Post a Comment